Wednesday 4 April 2007

Alarm Clock, by the Rumble Strips - Gripe

I have seen The Rumble Strips play live and to be fair, they are highly entertaining performers to watch, dynamic, kinetic, engaging, different. This unfortunately doesn’t translate well into an enjoyable aural experience. Maybe it’s too kinetic, too different, for my delicate auditory processing system to decipher. Maybe this is a case of Emperor’s new clothes. Or maybe everyone else sees something that is invisible to me alone.

Currently, the single Alarm Clock, from the album of the same name, is getting a lot of prime airtime on the radio. Well, I say the radio, but I really only listen to one radio station, so I can’t comment on the airwaves as a collective. This song is the only item on the play list that makes me want to switch stations. I never switch stations. Call it OCD. Call it blind loyalty. Call it good taste, but I listen exclusively to xfm, unless I accidentally hit the keypad on my mobile. (In the interest of crisis aversion, I’ve worked out how to get it back with the touch of just one button.)

When Alarm Clock comes on, I’m forced take out my earphones, which means I have to hear what is going on at the back of the bus. If I use my cover the ears and hum technique, the punters at the back might take notice and throw bits of detritus from the floor at me. So you can see what a genuine problem this is.

I am not sure what Alarm Clock reminds me of, but I know it’s not another Rumble Strips song. The best analogy I can draw is some seventies kids’ show meets rabid brass band. Don’t get me wrong, I like seventies kids’ shows and I can tolerate brass bands, if you take out the rabid part. The combination of the two, however, makes my ears bleed. Maybe it’s the June, moon, spoon lyrics; “Beep, beep, beep. Get on your feet.” I stopped expecting this brand of lyricism in songs when I stopped watching Barney with the kids. Certainly the gratuitous “Whoa-nos” of the chorus are too long and too wailing for my liking. I honestly think Chris Waller has a good voice, but this song is not the best showcase of his talent. There's also just a bit too much going on with the accompaniment to let me relax while listening. I get it; alarm clocks are meant to be annoying and jarring, but that doesn't mean I like those qualities blaring out of my radio every hour.

The Rumble Strips is a cool name for a band, really cool. So, why have this juvenile sounding song as the first single and the album title? This does not compute. They strive to be different, and they certainly are. They aren’t afraid to fail, and it would seem that commercially, they haven’t failed with Alarm Clock. They did fail to win me over, so I’ll not be buying the album, even if it is possible to get one with the title track burned off. However, just in case the Emperor is not in fact naked, give Alarm Clock a listen, and decide for yourself – on the radio first of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alarm Clock is a foot-stomping, sing-a-long fest, nothing more nothing less. Grunvald you take it far too seriously.

There is however,IMHO, some mileage in your comments. This track does not do Charlie's voice true justice, and would not have been my choice for a debut single from the album. Please don't be put off buying the album as I have heard all the tracks and you will be missing out on some classic gems.