Friday 20 April 2007

Radio Contests - Gold Star Update

Most of you will be aware of my compulsive contest habit, so I'll not rehash. (See the original Radio Competitions post if you are new here.) I'm not ashamed to admit that I spend a fair bit of my daily waking hours listening to the radio and entering every competition I can. Now, when I come into work, people ask me if I've won anything today. Why they aren't entering themselves, I'll never know. They are still convinced they won't win, maybe convinced I'll always win instead. This week, however, proving it's not a fix, someone else has been winning.

I've had to hand the victory torch over to Graeme. First, he won us tickets to see Travis (great Scottish band) play at a small Edinburgh venue. Money can't buy this prize; tickets can only be won through xfm, which is my favourite station as luck would have it. Second, he won tickets and camping passes to Rock Ness, a music festival held on the shores of beautiful Loch Ness. We could have bought tickets (£100 each), but probably wouldn't have spent that much on a weekend of music. For those of you who have been sleep reading, we won those on xfm.

The second win was really a team effort. We both tried to get on the air to win, but Graeme made it. I had figured out the answer to the question: what is the name of the person who blagged his way onto the guest list. That was a tough one. Did you know that Eddie "the Eagle" Edwards had a law degree and is now a sports agent? Even more obscurely, he put out two singles, one in a foreign language. The fact that he had formerly been a plasterer helped me nail it. Go figure. The point here is that sometimes a team effort is the best way to win.

All right, so I've said this before, but it's worth saying again. Get entering competitions, any free competitions you can. You want to be a winner, don't you? Well, you've got to play. Find somebody to play along and double your chances. Besides, shared victory really is sweet. Get in there and let me know when you win. I'll share with you, if not the prize, then in the glory basking at least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great blog this is turning out to be! You really should try for a column in a weekly paper or something similar. Although do me a favour and stop encouraging others to put a crimp into my prize funded lifestyle!

Mr Brown

Grundvald said...

Ahh, the voice of dissent. The more players, the more fun and the sweeter the victory. Fact is, most people still won't enter, but I really wish they would.
A weekly column? Where? Who? Is anyone hiring? Pick me! Pick me! Please, please, pick me! Now that would be a prize and a half.