Thursday 5 April 2007

Radio Competitions - Gold Star

Don’t eliminate yourself. Let them eliminate you. Thank you to my high school Chemistry teacher for this invaluable lesson. Of course, he was referring to scholarships, bursaries, university programs, that sort of thing. However, I have universally applied this principle to great effect across my life, the most exciting results emerging from the world of radio competitions.

Radio contests are a rather new phenomenon in my life. Last year, I got an upgrade on my mobile and the new one has an fm radio. As a two-hour a day bus commuter, a radio-phone has been my ticket to maintaining my sanity as well as to padding my lifestyle. I can simultaneously block out the back-seaters and win free stuff. Really, this phone has changed my life. (That’s a bit sad when I read it back, but true, so I’ll leave it.)

Now, if you’ve been following these posts, you’ll know that I listen to xfm Scotland, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have similar success with your favourite local station. Most people have the idea that they never win anything, thus self-fulfilling the prophecy of never winning. Defeated from the start, they don’t enter. Here’s the beauty, though: someone’s got to win. Why shouldn’t you be that someone?

Some may say it’s foolish to give out the secret to my success, but I can tell you honestly, this is no big secret. It’s just about probability. Keeping in mind that most listeners won’t enter, I know that my odds are pretty high for each competition, particularly compared to the odds of winning at bingo, the slots, a bet on a horse, or the lottery (but I still buy tickets for that). In my two hours, I enter every single competition aired: every one, without fail. Sometimes I’m required to phone in and can’t get through because it’s prime time or the prize is really alluring. Otherwise, if there’s a contest on xfm, I’m in. Maybe there’s more to that OCD theory than I thought.

What does this cost? It costs nothing if the way to enter is by calling the free phone number, 25 pence if I have to text. What are the rewards? Thus far, I’ve won Cd's, t-shirts, cash, events tickets, and just this week, a trip for two to a music festival in Austria. (We go next week, so look for a post on that. I’m anticipating a gold star, but will keep an open mind.) Could I have afforded this holiday without the win? No. Does this enhance my life? Yes. Yes. Yes.

Again taking a universal approach, look around you and you’ll find all sorts of opportunities to enter contests for free. Most people ignore the fliers, adverts, or posters in your favourite newspapers, magazines, chain stores, and petrol stations. The list goes on. You could pay a subscription for a service that will email you this list, or you could just pay attention and find the contests yourself. Better yet, turn on the radio, get your mobile phone ready (be safe and legal if driving), listen up, and stop eliminating yourself. You could be the next winner.

Post a comment when you are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your sense of humor; excellent timing. Welcome to blogosphere.

Grundvald said...

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment. Glad to know it comes across as funny to someone else. Don't you hate it when something is so much funnier in your head?

Anonymous said...

Love the blog Meddy, you are so witty. Too bad you aren't going to Australia